Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Lentil Soup in Heaven




Yes, this is the lentil soup served in heaven. I played with this recipe, although the basis of it is certainly traditional. As I expand my ethnic food horizons, this recipe might fit many of them. However, yish hidnee, killee (eat ) this lentil soup and grow strong, get healthy, and it'll make you feel like a protein powerhouse!

Prep and cook time: 1 hour, 15 minutes. Very easy.

1 large white onion, diced
1 package lentil beans uncooked, rinsed, any color that pleases your eyes
1 large bunch of fresh spinach
1 large bunch of kale, broken into two inch pieces or so
2 medium carrots, sliced thin
1/2 cup of Uncle Ben's long grain rice (and ONLY Uncle Ben's) just kidding... not really, but if you have some other rice on hand, go ahead and use it
2 TBSP olive oil
Salt to taste
1 tsp. Ground Jamaican allspice
6 cups of water
(Optional: small diced lamb, beef or chicken) I don't use them because I like the vegetarian kind of soup like they would have in heaven....

In a large skillet that has a cover:
Heat on medium, add oil, heat oil, add onions and let them sautee until they just start to turn brown on the edges. mmmm...


Add the lentils and stir, coating them with the onions and oil. Add the spices.
Add the water.


Then add the carrots and let simmer on low heat, covered for 30 minutes. Check every 5 minutes or so, and stir. Hey, heaven soup takes coddling.


Add the spinach, kale and rice and let simmer another 30 minutes, partially covered.




Serve. And yes, those are the angels singing when you taste this.



2 comments:

  1. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! Best soul food restaurant in Dallas TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work libanees restaurant amsterdam

    ReplyDelete